Ready-made legal forms + templates to use in your restaurant
Step-by-step checklists so you can follow the law every time
Plain-English breakdown of risks you need to know
I’ve yet to meet a restaurant owner who was intentionally thumbing their nose at the law. Restaurant owners don’t break the law on purpose. They break it because it’s extensive and complicated and sometimes flat-out contradictory (I’m looking at you, marijuana laws). So they google a thing or two, make the best call they can, and pray that it won’t be the reason that everything comes crashing down.
But there is such a better way.
This kit is the answer to your “what the heck am I supposed to do here” prayers.
- Doing a background check? Snag the consent form to comply with the FCRA.
- Using a tip pool? Download the template for the proper notice under the FLSA.
- Your employee request a disability accommodation? (Would you even recognize it if they did)? Follow the step-by-step checklist to handle it like an ADA pro.
This kit gives you CONFIDENCE (and yes, explanations of those sweet little acronyms). Confidence that you know what you're supposed to know, confidence that your forms say what they're supposed to say, and confidence that you can breathe easy on the employment law front and focus more of your time, money and sanity on running that killer restaurant.
- An Intro Note from Lexi - You just made your smartest move yet.
- CHART: A slick as a whistle statute chart to help you pinpoint in 20 seconds or less what laws you need to care about and which ones don't apply to you.
- VIDEO: Lexi explains exactly what can happen when you don't prevent employee lawsuits. Hint: It has to do with bankruptcy, million dollar judgments, and a lot of other problems you probably can't afford.
- LEGAL BREAKDOWN: Are they my employee or an independent contractor? The one word that determines the difference. Plus, how to know which laws actually apply to your restaurant.
- TEMPLATE: Discrimination Policy + Complaint Procedures for Employee Handbook
- VIDEO: Lexi walks you through discrimination, what to look out for and how to get around it like a pro.
- LEGAL BREAKDOWN: The Golden Rule to avoid discrimination, even if you can't remember a single, solitary protected class. Also, the danger lurking in your seemingly neutral policies.
- TEMPLATE: Assistant Manager
- TEMPLATE: Prep Cook
- TEMPLATE: Host
- TEMPLATE: Server
- TEMPLATE: Dishwasher
- TEMPLATE: Bartender
- VIDEO: Lexi walks you through job descriptions, what to look out for and how to get around it like a pro.
- LEGAL BREAKDOWN: The right way to lay out job descriptions, the legal implications and the one section you absolutely must have to combat THIS type of discrimination suit.
- TEMPLATE: Job Application
- VIDEO: Lexi walks you through job applications, what to look out for and how to get around it like a pro.
- LEGAL BREAKDOWN: The 4 armored statements you must include in your application and the 2 things to almost never ask.
- SCRIPTS: Exactly What Not to Say + Exactly What to Say Instead
- GUIDE: Step-by-Step Guide to Conduct a Legally-Solid Structured Interview
- CHECKLIST: Final Interview Prep Checklist to Confirm You're Ready to Rock 'n Roll
- VIDEO: Lexi walks you through interviews, what to look out for and how to get around it like a pro.
- LEGAL BREAKDOWN: The most sensitive (but necessary) topic to discuss in interviews. Plus, stereotypes, entrapment and a $12 million mistake.
- TEMPLATE: Consumer Disclosure for Background Check
- TEMPLATE: Consumer Authorization for Background Check
- TEMPLATE: Reference Check Authorization + Release Form
- TEMPLATE: Drug + Alcohol Policy for Employee Handbook
- TEMPLATE: Drug + Alcohol Testing Consent Form
- VIDEO: Lexi walks you through background checks, what to look out for and how to get around it like a pro.
- LEGAL BREAKDOWN: What you NEED TO KNOW if you're sleuthing through their social media. Plus, criminal history, drugs and what's flat out illegal if you ask at the wrong time.
- TEMPLATE: Overtime Policy + Procedures for Employee Handbook
- TEMPLATE: Payroll Deduction Authorization Form
- VIDEO: Lexi walks you through non-exempt employees, what to look out for and how to get around it like a pro.
- LEGAL BREAKDOWN: The simple mistake employers walk into again and again. Hint: You're the master in all areas, except for THIS.
- QUESTIONNAIRE: The easy peasy questionnaire to nail down exemptions once-and-for-all.
- VIDEO: Lexi walks you through exempt employees, what to look out for and how to get around it like a pro.
- LEGAL BREAKDOWN: If the word "exemption" makes you want to hide under the table. Plus, the 3 misclassification mistakes that can cost you, BIG.